Wednesday, October 10, 2012

I Guess I Still Have a Lot to Learn- follow-up to "Anyone...Evolution"


Today I was in my dress clothes and washing my hands in a public restroom.  I had just finished dinner with a regional VP and district managers.  A lady about 15 years older pushes the door open and then lets it close.

She does it again.
I smile.
She does it again.

"I thought this was the ladies' restroom."
"It is. I'm a lady. Come in," I say softly and reassuringly.
I remembered the only time I was in a bingo parlor and a lady hollered at me, "This is a woman's restroom." She looked like... I don't want to say. But, I said the only thing to say, "I am a woman."

The lady pushes the door open, smiles, and lets it close.
I inventory my body.  I weigh about 120 pounds, these days, and am often told I look like Ellen or Edie Falco (not Sopranos but Nurse Jackie).  I was wearing a soft-green, tailored blouse by Alex Marie and a pearl necklace.

The lady pushes the door again.
I motion for her to come in and note that the world "Ladies" is big and bold under her palm. She comes in reluctantly and not apologizing but wanting to insist that I leave.

"Welcome to the 21st Century."

I felt bad for my comment, and then I couldn't return to the table. Out in the fresh air, I played with my pearl necklace, feeling like Tom Wilkinson in Normal and hoping that the woman didn't bring her family party out to point and say, "See? Wouldn't you think that's a man?" about the time my clients were moving out toward me.

This isn't the first time that I've been called sir--see explanation about weekend attire--, but it's the third time in my life that people have mistaken me for a man while wearing makeup, earrings, and high heels. Do people look?  If so, what are they seeing?

2 comments:

  1. People see what they want to see based on their fears and reactions unpredictable even to themselves
    hang in there and be just sexy you!
    pia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pia- You're new to the blog or you're a friend who's come up with a cool handle! Thanks for the encouragement and the post, ")

    ReplyDelete

post comment here