Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Riding a Tricycle, Holding Daisy Dukes


Alice

“Chazz, get up. Let’s take the dogs out.”
“No, I’m tired.”
“You never want to do anything. Why do you drive all this way to lay on my couch?” Alice asked.
“I don’t have this many stations on the other end of my remote. Besides, it’s good for the girls to visit.  When we were together...”

Alice’s phone rang and she answered it, cutting off a reminder of the beginning of a memory that was going to address the elephant that was cross-legged and smoking on top of the coffee table.

“Yeah, I do.  What time?” Alice spoke to the caller.
Pause.
“You know how to get here?”
Pause.
“Ok. The gate code is 1-2-3-4.”

Alice put her phone on the bar and then threw a pack of cigarettes at Chazz’s head.

“Get up.”
“Who was that?”
“It was Micki.  She’s coming over later. We’re going for beers.”


Micki

“I’ve got a date tonight,” Micki said to her ex after she hung up.
“Who?” Melinda asked.
“I used to work with her ex.  When Chazz and I lived in Houston.”
“Christy?”
“No—aye, veigh!” Micki glared. “Why do you always bring her up?”
“I wonder. You tell me why I always think of Christy when you talk about Houston.” Melinda leaned forward and bugged out her eyes.  She pushed her face toward Micki.  “Maybe, because she broke us up?”
“That’s not why we broke up.”
“She was the first of a few reasons why we didn’t break up.”
“You want to go there?”  Micki bugged her eyes and pushed forward before she pulled back with emphasis.  “Besides, we’re better as friends.  We don’t fight near as much. Right?” Micki pulled the top from a Lite—Psssssttt.  “Right.”
“Whatever.  Toss me one.”  Pssssstttt. “Who’s the new girl?  What’s her name—Chazz?”
“Her name’s not Chazz.  I worked with Chazz.  I’m talking about her ex, Alice,” Micki took the last gulp.
“That’s right.  I remember Chazz.  So, what’s up with this Alice?”
“She reminds me of Christy,”  Micki grinned and crushed the can.
“Aye, veigh!  I’m going to kill you!”


Chazz

“Now, I’m really, really tired,” Chazz was the last one up the stairs and into the apartment.
“You were tired the day you were born,” Alice said.
“I remember. I did a lot of work that day.”  Chazz stretched out and reached for the remote. “I’m going to watch tv while you and Micki go for beers.”
“No. You’re going with. You can’t just come here and lay around like when we were together.” Alice pulled the pillow from under Chazz’s head and then popped her with it. “You’re going for beers with us.”
“I brought a twelve pack,” Chazz pointed toward the kitchen.  “Besides, you don’t even drink.”
“I’m going to eat, and y’all drink.”
“I’m not going on a date with you and Micki.  Uh-uh, no way.”
“I’m not dating her, I don’t even know her.  We’re going for burgers.”
“She’s going for beer and you’re going for burgers.  That’s a date, going the wrong way on a trike.”


The Not-Date

Buzzzzzz
“Hello?”
“Hey- uh, Alice. Can you let me in?”
“The gate?”
“I forgot the code.”
“Hold on.”
Buzzzz.
Knock, knock.
“Who’s there?” Chazz smiled when she opened the door.
“What the—?  Oh, ‘hi Chazz.’ What are you doing here?”
“Taking a nap,” She lunged toward the couched and plopped. “We just walked the dogs.”

Alice was dressed except for her shoes. She bent to lace them and then straightened her new walking sweats. “Did you have trouble finding it?”
“I like those. Did you get them at Academy?” Micki asked. 
“Macy’s.”
“Oh,” Micki straightened. She looked around the apartment but stopped to stare at Chazz’ elongated comfortable stretch. “Yeah, I’ve been here before. I knew this girl last summer.  Have you ever been to the pool?”
Chazz stood. “You want a beer?”
“I drink anything that’s free.” Micki tugged on her UofH cap.
“Aren't we going for food?” Alice asked.
Micki caught the beer.  “You still know how to play 3 gulps?”
“I’m playing 6 gulps these days,” Chazz replied.
“Well, down the hatch.” Micki crushed the can and looked up, “What are you going to do?”
“Huh?” Chazz asked.
“While we’re gone.” Micki looked at Chazz.  “Do you lock up?”


The Date

“Chazz. Can you send back my tacos? I asked for chicken,” Alice asked. “Just get them in a to-go.”
“Sure.”
“Hey Chazz, what’ve you been up to since Houston?” Micki asked.
“Don’t you mean since last month when I gave you her number?” Chazz nodded toward Alice.
“I mean. Did you ever get a job?”
“No. I go to dinner with people who will pay my bill in exchange for sending back their food.” Chazz nods toward Alice.  “It’s only a part-time job, but it keeps me out of the dumpsters.”
“You don’t have to be a shit.  We were friends,” Micki said.
“Yeah—until you and Christy started going to Sonic for afternoon slushes.”
“Wow!” Alice looked at Micki with a renewed interest, “You were the one who broke up Chazz and Christy?”
“That wasn’t the reason they broke up,” Micki snapped.
“I’ll get the check,” Chazz raised her arm.

After the waitress split the bill, Alice went one way while Chazz and Micki headed to the parking lot.  One lit a cigarette, and they shared it.   

“You remember when Melinda and I broke up?” Micki asked while exhaling.
“Yeah?  But then you always went dancing,” Chazz replied.
“Right.  That’s my point. On Sunday morning, we’d always say, ‘Why doesn’t anyone ask me out?’”
“Because everyone thought you were still together.”
“Right.  You ever wonder about stuff like that?”
“No. I don’t care what other people think. ”
“You seein’ anyone?”


After the Not-Date-Date

“Great idea.  Thanks for making me drink $4 beers instead of free ones,” Chazz said.
“What was up with her?” Alice asked.
“She was pissed because you brought your ex on a date.”
“If she wanted it to be a date, she could have asked me out.”
“She called you and asked you out.”
“She said, ‘Do you want to get something to eat?’”
“That’s what people do at the beginning of a date.” Chazz leaned in for a hug and whistled for one of the two sisters, “Come Daisy.”
“Stay, Dukes.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

post comment here