Thursday, January 10, 2013

I Ain't Got No Stinkin' Foundation Problems- Hooray!


I started this blog because there are things that fathers and brothers don’t teach girls who might need to take the lead to secure a date.  Maybe some of you are lucky and received lessons that have helped you in life and love. I have not, and I imagine that I’m not alone.  (So, if you have received great advice from a male, please share a simple or elaborate story.  If you want to include a picture of your wise male elder, that would be great too.)  Maybe one taught you how to disconnect from strife when the time is right.  Men are good at it.

I used to think this tendency was devolutional, but I realize it’s a means for mental survival in any kind of relationship. I have discovered this bit of information without the aid of a benevolent male and through the inanimate mercy of a community library.  Here it is…each half of a partnership must maintain (and, dare I say, embrace) the personality it was born with.  

I happened upon a book this time last year, shortly after the breakup, and again this time this year.  I thought that perhaps it was fate that the binding faced me again or that it had not been rented and was fixed in the very same place.  Either way, I wanted to know if the words would read the same after a year of rebuilding my strengths. 

These are the sentences that returned to me during different times and throughout the year:

Personal space is a unique and valuable part of us.  When we are in it healthily, we are alone in a way that refreshes and enlivens us.  We feel good about ourselves, without excuses or apologies; there is no one else there to listen to, report to, or alter ourselves for.  What others think of us is not relevant or important.
-The Art of Intimacy

“Wait a minute. I was with you up until the point where you totally disregard consideration for my partner.  I can’t imagine being in a relationship where I am not consistently conscientious of my behaviors and their relevancy to the efficacy of my partnership”.  These were my thoughts the first time I read this paragraph.  (Yes, I also think in short filibusters.)

Until I read these words from a certified mind therapist, I had no idea that I was allowed to not be perpetually aware of what I was doing and how it would affect my her.  (Ex#1 and #2 might write in and say, “You’ve got to be kidding! You’re an ignoramus!!”). Something strapped me in when I was with #3.  It began with love, but it looked more like fear in the end.

I wished I had tried to free my true self while riding side-by-side with that one.  Perhaps in dreamland we were a perfect fit but, in the cold and fixed reality, we were perpendicular to each other.  I might have held my own throughout the course, if I’d have been honest during the first year.  But, I had a million reasons why I shouldn’t until I couldn’t. That whimsical odyssey that was prevalent with #1 and #2 might have produced spurts of spontaneity with #3, generating oxygen between us.  

These words from Art of Intimacy sound like something I read in a different book. I remember:

Differentiation means the ability to maintain your identity when you are in close relationship to other people or ideologies: you are able to rest securely inside yourself and not be swept away by other people’s emotions, opinions, or moods.  At the same time you are open to other people. 
- If the Buddha Dated

If I’d forced myself into a place that had little room for me, I might have lost #3 before the end of that first year but I wouldn’t have lost myself (and I would still be in California or would have moved back to Austin. I’d be on with an entirely different life. But, I wouldn’t have met all the great people in Alabama or Louisiana.  Hmm; if I wouldn’t have lost myself, Dim Sum couldn’t have helped me find myself.  How does this crazy system work anyways?)  After the end, I realized that I would have lost #3 sooner or later because empowerment was threatening and lack of empowerment was “yawn!”   I win from losing, and then I can’t win for doing. Is there a method to this madness? I imagine an old cowboy who knows to keep his distance would say, "Sit back. Stay a spell. See what comes of it."

I look back on this year and know that I stayed the course.  Much of it because a (guy or girl) friend kept an eye on me and offered timely advice.  I managed a convoluted job that requires much travel, a huge house that must always be “show ready,” and 3 pets who need to be loved, walked and fed.  I had a pinhole leak in the roof, and the contractor created a bigger leak; but, I took care of it.  I’ve had 50+ showings and 3 open houses, but—on weekends when I could hardly breathe from fear or fatigue—I made things perfect for each potential buyer.  I thought there were foundation problems, but I was relieved to hear, this morning, that there aren’t.  These things wouldn’t have crippled the pre#3 me, but I had lost her.  On the other side of each kind of hurdle, I found old strengths that I had too easily surrendered. And then, Dim Sum helped me find this means to get out of my head, and we found y'all. 

Now, I breathe more; I smile more; I embrace more.  A business-as-usual and hectic day like today was great because it ended with me realizing that my life may not be remarkable but I love it because it’s mine.  I wouldn't want to be in anyone else's. And, I won’t give it away again because I need to care for it so that I might share it with all kinds of loves and likes. 

2 comments:

  1. Yeaaaa...when I read this I could see the twinkle in your eye. Dim Sum

    "Now, I breathe more; I smile more; I embrace more."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking back at your roller-coaster ride this year...it all made sense when I read, "Now, I breathe more; I smile more; I embrace more." I think back about how we met, how we stay in touch, and how we interact and learn--you with #3 and beyond and me with the love of my life and my crazy personality. Thanks for sharing your amazing stories with me and the WORLD! Dim Sum

    ReplyDelete

post comment here